UCL SSEES Library Links
In this Section
UCL SSEES Library has a number of facilities to offer its users. All UCL students have access to free wifi through UCL. (Note that visitors from other UK universities will be able to access wifi through eduroam.) Other visitors can request temporary guest wifi access at the Help Desk. There are two computer clusters on the First Floor reserved for SSEES students. UCL students and staff can access the two Desktop@UCL computers on the Lower Ground Floor. All users can access electronic resources via the catalogue terminals located on each floor. Photocopying and scanning services are available to all Library users.
UCL SSEES Library has two computer clusters for SSEES students. The student cluster on the First Floor of the Library contains 14 PCs equipped with multi-language keyboard switchers and proofing tools covering all the languages taught in the School. There is also a separate computer cluster for SSEES graduate students located outside the Library on the First Floor of the SSEES department. The doors to the clusters are fitted with digilocks. SSEES students may obtain the necessary 4-digit code at the Library Help Desk on presentation of a valid UCL student ID card. Each cluster is equipped with a machine for printing, copying and scanning. Students should select the "print-UCL" option from the list of available printers in Desktop@UCL, or email documents to email@example.com. Colour printing is available in the Photocopying and Printing Room on the Lower Ground Floor of the Library.
- The clusters are provided by SSEES and are for SSEES students. Do not open the door to anyone who knocks.
- You can access the internet directly from the desktop of the cluster computers, OR you can log in to Desktop@UCL for access to UCL email, the central filestore and centrally-provided software.
- You do not need to log in to the computers with your username and password. These are only required to log in to Desktop@UCL.
USB devices can be used in the Clusters. They must be plugged in to the computer before logging on to Desktop@UCL.
- There are two Desktop@UCL computers on the Lower Ground Floor for all UCL students and staff.
- In addition to the Clusters provided by the School all UCL students are entitled to use IS-managed Cluster Rooms across UCL. A list of locations and further information is available on the Information Services Division website.
UCL's wifi is called eduroam and is available on all four floors of the library
- eduroam is a free wireless network which is available throughout UCL and other universities across the UK.
- UCL SSEES Library is an eduroam hotspot.
- There are power points underneath most desks in the Library for laptop computers. Please do not use the power points in the floor.
- Temporary guest access to wifi is available for visitors. Please ask at the Help Desk or Enquiries Office.
- For information on connecting to the eduroam service, visit the ISD's wireless web pages.
Photocopying and Scanning
Self-service photocopying, scanning and printing machines are provided in the Library; two are located on the Lower Ground Floor and one in each of the student computer clusters. You must first register with your username and password before you can start using the machines. Scanning is free for UCL students and staff and will be emailed to your UCL account. Photocopies cost 5p for A4 black and white (single-sided or double-sided), and 25p for colour (single-sided). A3 copying is also available. If you need to check or top up your print credit, you can do so online or at the cash loader machine on the Lower Ground Floor (cash only). Visitors need to create a login and PIN at the cash loader machine on the Lower Ground Floor before logging on to the photocopiers.
There is also a separate scanner on the Lower Ground Floor available to all users, but you will need to bring a USB drive to save the scans.
If you are having trouble with your account, you will need to visit the Information Services Desk on the Ground Floor of the Science Library.
SSEES Library holds a collection of over 6,500 DVDs and video cassettes containing films and documentaries from and relating to Central and Eastern Europe and Russia. A list of the film collection is available online. The Multimedia Room on the First Floor provides facilities for watching video and DVD materials. Headphones may be obtained from the Help Desk on deposit of a current UCL ID card. Please note that only registered staff and students of UCL may watch DVDs and videos.
The microfilm reader/printer is located on the Lower Ground Floor of the Library near the Photocopying Room. The Library has a substantial collection of microform materials, including back issues of many Russian and East European newspapers. These can be requested at the Library Help Desk. Always check the library catalogue first, as back issues of many newspapers and journals are now available electronically.