Search aids, indexes, bibliographies and current awareness services
- Scopus: Comprehensive scientific, medical, technical, social science, and arts and humanities database containing references to journal articles, conference proceedings, trade publications, book series and web resources. Indexing and abstracting database.
- Web of Science: A multidisciplinary database that includes: the Science Citation Index, the Social Science Citation Index and the Arts & Humanities Citation Index. The indexes cover thousands of journals and are a useful starting point for searching on many topics.
- JSTOR: is a full-text archive of important scholarly journals.
- International Bibliography of the Social Sciences (IBSS): Index of literature in the social sciences and related subjects. This database focuses on the four core social science subjects of anthropology, economics, politics and sociology and provides comprehensive coverage of these, as well as selected material from cognate subject areas such as law, social policy and criminology.
- Social Sciences Citation Index: Index to published literature in the social sciences. Also offers cited reference searching, enabling users to find out which other articles cite a particular article.
- Google Scholar: Service from the Google search engine which searches for articles from academic publishers, professional societies and pre-print archives.
Current awareness services: Current awareness services regularly alert registered users about new documents that match their research interests. The resources listed below offer current awareness services. The details of how to set these up vary between platforms; in most cases you need to set up an account and opt to receive alerts from your saved searches or specified journals.
- International Bibliography of the Social Sciences: IBSS is an essential online resource for social science and interdisciplinary research.
- JournalTOCS: is the largest free searchable collection of scholarly journal Tables of Contents (TOCs).
- Scopus: can be set to alert you via e-mail or RSS feed when a new article that matches your search conditions is listed.
- Web of science: creating journal alerts lets you access your selected journals and opens the latest table of contents.
- Zetoc: Zetoc Alert is a current awareness service that sends you email alerts matching the search criteria that you have provided whenever new data is loaded into the database. The searches may be for particular journals, for authors and for keywords from the titles of articles and papers
Other helpful resources: UCL members can make use of a number of other libraries.
- Senate House Library: all UCL members can join, borrow books and access online resources remotely.
- LSE: London School of Economic and Political Science library reference access only for undergraduates and taught postgraduates; borrowing for academic staff and research postgraduates.
- COPAC: Search over 70 UK and Irish academic, national a specialist library catalogues.