The Library’s collection of books on Slovak language, literature and culture is shelved on the First Floor of the Library. Books covering Slovak arts are located at Sk.XX, including books on Slovak film and theatre at Sk.XX.4. Large art books are shelved separately at Sk.XX.3. Works on Slovak language are located at Sk.XXIII, including grammars and course books at Sk.XXIII.4. Slovak literary works are arranged alphabetically by author at Sk.XXIV.7. The collection includes writings by classical and modern writers, critical works about them, bibliographies, translations, collections of letters, monographs on specialised subjects such as relations with contemporaries or comparative studies. Search UCL books/e-books on Slovak literature and culture in Explore. For help and useful tips on how to search, see the guide to using Explore. For information about finding and requesting stores items or electronic resources see our FAQ.
Amongst other E-journals, the Library provides digital access to Slovak Literary Review, Slovenské divadlo, Slovenský národopis. Printed journals are shelved on the Lower Ground Floor of the Library. UCL journals on Slovak language, literature and culture can be searched in Explore. For help and useful tips on how to search, see the guide to using Explore. For information about finding and requesting stores items or electronic journals see our FAQ.
UCL Library Services offer access to a wide range of databases directly or indirectly addressing Slovak language, literature and culture topics. The databases include:
• Central and Eastern European Online Library: Online archive of full text articles from over 250 humanities and social science journals, electronic books and re-digitized documents pertaining to Central, Eastern and South-Eastern European topics. Also includes a directory of links to related websites.
• The YIVO Encyclopedia of Jews in Eastern Europe: Encyclopedia of the history and culture of Jews in Eastern Europe, from the beginnings of their settlement in the region to the present. Covers arts, daily life, places, languages and literature, history and politics, and religion.
• Historical Abstracts: Complete reference guide to the history of the world from 1450 to the present.
• Oxford Scholarship Online: Cross-searchable library containing the full text of over 1,200 books from Oxford University Press, in the areas of Economics and Finance, History, Philosophy, Political Science and Religion.
• Web of Science: 2,697 journals across 55 social science disciplines, as well as selected items from 3,500 of the world's leading scientific and technical journals.
The Library’s Bain Graffy Film Collection is one of the biggest collections of Russian, Central and Eastern European film in the UK. It covers Slovak and Czechoslovak feature films, animations and documentaries, dating back to 1950s, including the films of the Slovak film directors such as Paľo Bielik, Dušan Hanák, Elo Havetta, Juraj Jakubisko. The collection is available to UCL staff and students only. For information about access rights and requesting audio-visual material see our FAQ.
The Library provides a variety of materials to support Slovak language teaching and learning, including complete course books with audio and visual components for the development of all skills and practice materials. For information about access rights and requesting audio-visual material see our FAQ.
For further help, please get in touch with:
Zuzana Pinčíková, Area Specialist for Central Europe