Search Explore to find UCL books/e-books and pamphlets on the history of Albania. For help and useful tips on how to search, see the guide to using Explore. For information about finding and requesting books, pamphlets, rare books or store items see our FAQ
Books in print: The Albanian collection is housed on the Lower Ground Floor of UCL SSEES Library. The section relating to the history of Albania starts with the classmark A.IX. Albanian historical encyclopedias and dictionaries are to be found in the section A.REF. Books with a STORE location can be requested by completing the online store request form.
Rare books: Material published before 1850 is kept in our Local Store and can be requested at the Library’s issue desk, see the FAQ. Historically important rare travel books from UCL SSEES Library Special Collections were digitised as part of the EU’s Europeana Travel project and include accounts of travel through Albania and the Balkan Peninsula before 1860..
E-book: Oxford Scholarship Online: Cross-searchable library containing the full text of over 1,200 books from Oxford University Press, in the areas of Economics and Finance, History, Philosophy, Political Science and Religion. See also the Complete list of e-books available to members of UCL
Journals and journal articles
Search journals and journal articles in Explore or in specialist databases available to members of UCL. For help and useful tips on how to search, see the guide to using Explore. For information on finding and requesting journals, journal articles or store items see our FAQ.
E-Journals with a focus on the modern history of Albania:
- The complete list of electronic journals available to members of UCL can be accessed via E-journals.
- The Central and Eastern European Online Library (C.E.E.O.L.) is an online archive which provides access to full text PDF articles from over 1000 humanities and social science journals and re-digitised documents pertaining to Central, Eastern and South-Eastern European topics. The database can be scoped to search for journals by subject or by country.
- Search UCL’s databases to find articles on Albanian history in international journals. Also of interest East European newspapers Newspapers published in Eastern Europe between 1835 and 1922.
Printed journals are located on the Lower Ground Floor of the Library. Journals with a STORES location can be requested by completing the online store request form.
The Library holdings include archive collections relevant for the study of Albanian history. For information about access rights and requesting archives see our FAQ.
- CTR - Carter, Professor Frank (1964-2001): photographic slides taken by Professor Carter between 1964 and 2001 during his extensive travels around Eastern Europe; as well as slides of graphs, maps, archives and other historical data relating to cities and regions of Eastern Europe.
Maps: Historic maps from UCL SSEES Library Special Collections, digitised as part of the Europeana Travel project, include maps of Albania.
Audio-visual material: The Julian Graffy Film Collection contains documentaries on Albanian history. For information about access rights and requesting audio-visual material see our FAQ.
Internet Resources: The Directory of Internet Resources lists relevant links to academic institutions, libraries and archives in Albania.
Bibliographies: The National Library of the Republic of Albania: provides on-line access to historical bibliographies of books
- Making the History of 1989: Primary Sources on Albania drawn from the emergence of resistance movements in the 1980s, the events of 1989, and the immediate aftermath in Eastern Europe.
- Euro Docs: Online sources for Albania history.
- Europeana: a single access point to Europe's digital resources.
- Travels in Southeastern Europe: part of the University of Michigan Digital Library Text Collections : an electronic corpus of Bosnian and other southeastern European travel accounts, including accounts of travel in Albania.
- The Manuscriptorium Project: virtual research environment providing access to all existing digital documents in the sphere of historic book resources (manuscripts, incunabula, early printed books, maps, charters and other types of documents).
Search aids, indexes, bibliographies and current awareness services
- Scopus: Comprehensive scientific, medical, technical, social science, and arts and humanities database containing references to journal articles, conference proceedings, trade publications, book series and web resources. Indexing and abstracting database.
- Web of Science: Multidisciplinary database that includes: the Science Citation Index, the Social Science Citation Index and the Arts & Humanities Citation Index. The indexes cover thousands of journals and are a useful starting point for searching on many topics.
- JSTOR: Full-text archive of important scholarly journals.
- International Bibliography of the Social Sciences (IBSS): Index of literature in the social sciences and related subjects. This database focuses on the four core social science subjects of anthropology, economics, politics and sociology and provides comprehensive coverage of these, as well as selected material from cognate subject areas such as law, social policy and criminology.
- Social Sciences Citation Index: Index to published literature in the social sciences. Also offers cited reference searching, enabling users to find out which other articles cite a particular article.
- Google Scholar: Service from the Google search engine which searches for articles from academic publishers, professional societies and pre-print archives.
Current awareness services
Current awareness services regularly alert registered users about new documents that match their research interests. The resources listed below offer current awareness services. The details of how to set these up vary between platforms; in most cases you need to set up an account and opt to receive alerts from your saved searches or specified journals.
- JournalTOCS: Largest free searchable collection of scholarly journal Tables of Contents (TOCs).
- Scopus: Can be set to alert you via e-mail or RSS feed when a new article that matches your search conditions is listed.
- Web of Knowledge: creating journal alerts lets you access your selected journals and opens the latest table of contents.
- Zetoc Alert: Current awareness service that sends you email alerts matching the search criteria that you have provided whenever new data is loaded into the database. The searches may be for particular journals, for authors and for keywords from the titles of articles and papers
- History Online: Information about internet resources for historians and about the history profession.
The History subject guide lists further relevant general resources on history