Search aids, indexes, bibliographies and current awareness services - EconLit, Social Science Citation Index, RFE – Resources for Economists on the Internet, International Bibliography of the Social Sciences (IBSS), FRANCIS; current awareness services)
- EconLit: Index of international publications on economics, with selected abstracts.
- Social Science Citation Index: Index to published literature in the social sciences. Also offers cited reference searching, enabling users to find out which other articles cite a particular article.
- RFE: Resources for Economists on the Internet Guide to economics resources on the Internet, sponsored by the American Economic Association (AEA). Aimed at academic and practicing economists, and those interested in economics.
- International Bibliography of the Social Sciences (IBSS): Index of literature in the social sciences and related subjects. This database focuses on the four core social science subjects of anthropology, economics, politics and sociology and provides comprehensive coverage of these, as well as selected material from cognate subject areas such as law, social policy and criminology.
- Google Scholar: Service from the Google search engine which searches for articles from academic publishers, professional societies and pre-print archives.
Current awareness services - Current awareness services regularly alert registered users about new documents that match their research interests. The resources listed below offer current awareness services. The details of how to set these up vary between platforms; in most cases you need to set up an account and opt to receive alerts from your saved searches or specified journals.
- EconLit: Indexes 400 economics journals, plus collective works, new books and dissertations.
- JournalTOCS: The largest free searchable collection of scholarly journal Tables of Contents (TOCs).
- Scopus: Can be set to alert you via e-mail or RSS feed when a new article that matches your search conditions is listed.
- Web of Science: Creates journal alerts, let you access your selected journals and opens the latest table of contents.
- Zetoc: Current awareness service that sends you email alerts matching the search criteria that you have provided whenever new data is loaded into the database. The searches may be for particular journals, for authors and for keywords from the titles of articles and papers.
Other helpful resources - UCL members can make use of a number of other libraries. link to other libraries list
- LSE (London School of Economic and Political Science): reference access only for undergraduates and taught postgraduates; borrowing for academic staff and research postgraduates.
- COPAC: Search over 70 UK and Irish academic, national & specialist library catalogues.
SSEES Library has helpful resources on the economies of individual countries and areas studied by the School on the guides to resources page.